Hands on History
Hands-On History Class
Visit the Jimmy Martyn Farm and discover what life was like for Texas pioneers around 1900. Explore the relationship between humans and the environment as you discover how farm communities would have satisfied their needs for food, clothing, and shelter. Participate in a variety of activities, such as butter making, wool carding, rope making, clothes washing or simple machines.
|Time||10:00am - 12:00 noon|
|Class Limit||Minimum 10|
$8.00/participant (children and adults)
One chaperone or teacher per 10 participants is free of charge. A 10-to-1 ratio of students to adults is required.
Please see the field trip planner for more information about scheduling a field trip. (Call 281-474-2551 x 13 for class dates and to enroll.)
The following objectives, vocabulary, and TEKs may be addressed during this field trip.
- Describe and demonstrate the steps in making a historic farm product, such as rope, cheese, butter, and/or wool clothing.
- List reasons for turn-of-the-century (1900) families to make their own rope, cheese, butter, and/or clothing.
- Describe some responsibilities of family members in a culture, specifically on an 1895-era farm.
- Compare and contrast food storage and preparation around 1900 with food storage and preparation today.
- Describe how the natural environment around a pioneer farm looked around 1900, and how it humans have changed it.
- Natural resource - something found in nature that is valuable to humans
- Responsibility - a job or task that a certain person is expected to do
- Curd - the solid that separates from the whey; made of casein
- Whey - the liquid that separates from the curd; made of water and lactose (milk sugar)
- Casein - milk proteins that form most of the curd
- Acid - something that sours milk, such as citrus, vinegar, or rennet (an animal product)
- Preservation - keeping something the way it is so that it can be used later
- Wool - fur from a sheep; fleece
- Lanolin - natural oil that is on wool; keeps the sheep from getting too wet and cold when it rains
TEKS (2012-2013 Science)
TEKS (Social Studies Chapter 113)
- 3.1A, 3.2A, 3.4B, 3.15B
- 4.4C, 4.8B, 4.9(A,B&C), 4.10B, 4.13A, 4.20(A&B)
- 5.4(B&F), 5.10A, 5.14A, 5.24(C&D)
- 7.1A, 7.10A, 7.20A.
Pre and Post Trip Materials
Pre and Post Trip Materials (PDF Format)
- Hands-on History Checklist
- Hands-on History Pre-Trip Activity (Farm Pre-Trip Quiz)
- Hands-on History Post-Trip Activity (Farm Resources)
- SBEC for Teachers
- Field Trip Planner
- Outreach Programs
- EcoTots Classes
- EcoKids Classes
- Summer EcoCamp
- Winter EcoCamp
- Scouting Programs
- Hazardous Beasties Safety Training
- Wetland Education Resources