Armand Bayou Nature Center's
Field Trip Planner
WELCOME to the exciting, outdoor, field experiences offered by Armand Bayou Nature Center!
Established in 1974, Armand Bayou Nature Center (ABNC) is a non-profit organization dedicated to environmental education and preservation. ABNC protects a 2,500-acre preserve and offers tours, exhibits and classes for the public. Over five miles of nature trails introduce visitors to bayou, forest and prairie ecosystems. The recreated Martyn Farm teaches visitors about farm life in the early 1900's.
ABNC offers a wide variety of engaging hands on STEM educational activities, demonstrations and tours that emphasize the interrelationships of plants, animals and people to their environment. To learn more about ABNC's programs, click on a side link. If desired, programs may be combined or tailored to create a full-day or specialized experience for your group.
SCHEDULING A PROGRAM
Field trips can be scheduled for Monday - Friday from 9:00am-4:00pm. ABNC is open to the public and for self-guided field trips Wednesday - Saturday, 9:00am - 5:00pm and Sunday, 12:00 noon - 5:00pm.
Call 713 274 2668 or 713 274 2667 to make a reservation for your field trip.
Due to the high demand and preparation required for our classes, reservations must be made in advance of your planned visit. A 50% deposit is required to reserve your field trip date.
Note that each class reservation requires a minimum of 10 participants. If your group has fewer than 10 paying members, you are welcome to book a class but will be charged for 10. Groups with more than 80 students require special arrangements. Please call the education office at 713 274 2668 or 713 274 2667 for details.
An email will be sent confirming your reservation and outlining the due date of your deposit, (if a deposit has not been made at the time of booking the field trip).
Group coordinators must notify ABNC one week in advance of a scheduled trip to confirm the final number of participants (head count), via email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone call 713 274 2668, so that we may schedule the proper staffing and determine the final fee of your field trip. We are unable to reimburse fees for fewer participants after the required head count date or on the day of the program.
Program costs vary, but all program fees include general admission. See the links to the various programs or call for cost information. One chaperone (includes teachers) is no charge for each 10 students. All chaperones beyond the 10:1 ratio requirement pay the student field trip price.
We require a 50% deposit on all field trip reservations; the remainder is due on the day of the field trip. Please make checks payable to Armand Bayou Nature Center. Credit and debit card payments can be taken over the phone.
Cancellations & Refunds
Cancellations must be made at least 3 weeks in advance to receive a refund. A $25 processing fee will be applied to all date and time changes and/or cancellation refunds. Cancellations within the 3 week window of the class will forfeit their deposit. Exceptions are made for severe weather. Otherwise, classes are held rain or shine. (If the Nature Center cancels a class, every effort will be made to reschedule or a refund will be provided.) In the event of inclement weather, programs will be modified or alternative activities will be provided inside as space allows. No refunds will be made for absentee children. If you should bring more children than you have reserved space for, payment must be made upon entry of the group.
- Chaperone: Chaperones are responsible for the behavior and discipline of their group. Each group must meet a 10:1 student/chaperone ratio. One chaperone is no charge for each 10 students. Please NO MORE than 2 chaperones per 10 students. Our programs are not able to accomodate huge groups of people. All chaperones beyond the 10:1 ratio requirement pay the student field trip price.
- Dress for the weather: Old clothes and shoes are recommended, as students may get dirty. All visitors must wear closed-toed shoes. No sandals, please.
- Arrive on time: Plan to arrive 15 minutes before class begins. Late arrival may result in a condensed or cancelled program. Instructors will meet classes in the ABNC parking lot.
- Water: All participants must CARRY a water bottle with them! Do not leave Water on the bus!
- Repellents & Sunscreen: Mosquitos often enjoy tasting nature center visitors. Bring your insect repellent. The Texas sun is strong! Wear sunscreen and/or a hat.
- Lunches: The Nature Center provides an area with tables and benches for field trips. Please notify us when you make your reservation if you plan to eat here. ABNC does not allow glass containers. In an effort to maintain our natural environment (the animals get into the trash and spread it everywhere), we request that you "PACK IT IN" and "PACK IT OUT" after having your lunch.
Special Needs: ABNC's site and programming format may present difficulties for individuals with certain limitations. ABNC makes every effort to serve students with special needs. The entry boardwalk, education building, prairie platform and bird blind are wheelchair accesible; trails and the farmhouse are not. Please discuss special needs with ABNC staff at the time of your reservation request.
- SBEC for Teachers
- Field Trip Planner
- Outreach Programs
- EcoTots Classes
- EcoKids Classes
- Summer EcoCamp
- Winter EcoCamp
- Scouting Programs
- Hazardous Beasties Safety Training
- Wetland Education Resources