Armand Bayou Nature Center's Field Trip Planner
WELCOME to the exciting outdoor field experiences offered by Armand Bayou Nature Center!
Established in 1974, Armand Bayou Nature Center (ABNC) is a non-profit organization dedicated to environmental education and preservation. ABNC protects a 2,500-acre preserve and offers tours, exhibits and classes for the public. Over five miles of nature trails introduce visitors to bayou, forest and prairie ecosystems. The recreated Martyn Farm teaches visitors about farm life in the early 1900's.
ABNC offers a wide variety of exciting educational activities, demonstrations and tours that emphasize the interrelationships of plants, animals and people to their environment. Exploring, hiking, and discovery quests engage students and increase their understanding of the environment. Farm programs promote insight into how farmers and their families learned to use the natural environment. To learn more about ABNC's programs, click on a side link. If desired, programs may be combined or tailored to create a full-day or specialized experience for your group.
SCHEDULING A PROGRAM
Field trips can be scheduled for Monday - Friday from 9:00am-3:00pm. ABNC is open to the public and for self-guided field trips Wednesday - Saturday, 9:00am - 5:00pm and Sunday, 12:00 noon - 5:00pm. Call (281) 474-2551 x13 to make a reservation for your field trip.
Due to the high demand and preparation required for our classes, reservations must be made at least 3 weeks in advance of your planned visit. A 50% deposit must be made within 10 business days to reserve your field trip date.
Our classes require advanced planning and are based on the number of participants reserved for each program. Please assist us in serving your needs by registering an accurate number of participants for your planned field trip.
Note that each class reservation requires a minimum of 10 participants. If your group has fewer than 10 paying members, you are welcome to book a class but will be charged for 10. Groups with more than 60 students require special arrangements. Please call the education office at (281) 474-2551 x13 for details.
A confirmation letter will be emailed to you upon making your reservation and will indicate deposit required to reserve your reservation. If the deposit is not received within 10 days of the reservation, the program will be cancelled.
Group coordinators must call one week in advance of a scheduled trip to confirm the final number of participants (head count), via email email@example.com or phone call 281-474-2551 ext13 or 14, so that we may schedule the proper staffing and determine the final fee of your field trip. We are unable to reimburse fees for fewer particpants after the required head count date or on the day of the program.
Program cost varies, but all program fees include general admission. See the links to the various programs or call for cost information. One chaperone (includes teachers) is no charge for the first 10 students. All chaperones beyond the 10:1 ratio requirement pay the student field trip price.
We require a 50% deposit within 10 days of your reservation. Full payment is due on the day of the field trip. Please make checks payable to Armand Bayou Nature Center. Credit and debit card payments can be taken over the phone.
Cancellations & Refunds
Cancellations must be made at least 3 weeks in advance to receive a refund. A $25 processing fee will be applied to all date and time changes and/or cancellation refunds. Cancellations within the 3 week window of the class will forfeit their deposit. Exceptions are made for severe weather. Otherwise, classes are held rain or shine. (If the Nature Center cancels a class, every effort will be made to reschedule or a refund will be provided.) No refunds will be made for absentee children. If you should bring more children than you have reserved space for, payment must be made upon entry of the group.
- Chaperone - Chaperones are responsible for the behavior and discipline of their group. Each group must meet a 10:1 student/chaperone ratio. One chaperone is no charge for each 10 students. All chaperones beyond the 10:1 ratio requirement, pay the student field trip price.
- Dress for the weather - Old clothes and shoes are recommended, as students may get dirty. All visitors must wear closed-toed shoes. No sandals, please.
- Arrive on time - Plan to arrive 15 minutes before class begins. Late arrival may result in a condensed or cancelled program. Instructors will meet classes in the ABNC parking lot.
- Water: All participants need to carry a water bottle with them!
- Repellents & Sunscreen: Mosquitos often enjoy tasting nature center visitors. Bring your insect repellent. The Texas sun is strong! Wear sunscreen and/or a hat.
- Lunches: The Nature Center provides an area with tables and benches for field trips. Please notify us when you make your reservation if you plan to eat here. ABNC does not allow glass containers. In an effort to maintain our natural environment (the animals get into the trash and spread it everywhere), we request that you "PACK IT IN" and "PACK IT OUT" after having your lunch.
- Special Needs: ABNC's site and programming format may present difficulties for individuals with certain limitations. ABNC makes every effort to serve students with special needs. The entry boardwalk, education building, prairie platform and bird blind are wheelchair accesible; trails and the farmhouse are not. Please discuss special needs with ABNC staff at the time of your reservation request.
Nature Center staff and volunteers try to keep field trips as fun and safe as possible, but potential hazards may arise. By taking a field trip or participating in any other Armand Bayou Nature Center activities, participants agree to hold the Armand Bayou Nature Center harmless for any injuries or damage that may arise.