Pond Life Class
There is more to a pond than you might think! Search for signs of nocturnal animals, observe turtles basking in the sun, or catch a tadpole. In this hands-on class students will use aquatic dip nets to identify many of the inhabitants of Armand Bayou Nature Center's ponds. Through water investigations students will learn all about the critters that make the water their home.
|Time||10:00am - 12:00 noon|
|Class Limit||Minimum 10|
$8.00/participant (children and adults)
One chaperone or teacher per 10 participants is free of charge. A 10-to-1 ratio of students to adults is required.
Please see the field trip planner for more information about scheduling a field trip. (Call 713-274-2668 for class dates and to enroll.)
The following objectives, vocabulary, and TEKs may be addressed during this field trip.
- Observe and describe ponds.
- Use tools to collect, observe, analyze and identify characteristics of pond animals.
- Pond - A depression in the ground that is filled with water by precipitation or runoff (also called a lenthic or standing water system)
- Vertebrate - an animal with a backbone
- Invertebrate - an animal without a backbone
- Macroinvertebrate - an animal without a backbone that is big enough to see with the naked eye (without a microscope)
- Ecosystem - An ecosystem is a complex, dynamic system that functions as a whole. An ecosystem is a natural unit and its size can be as small as a drop of water or as large as the Earth. Ecosystems consist of the interactions between organisms and between organisms and physical components, in which materials are exchanged following closed paths.
TEKS (2012-2013 Science)
Classes are adjusted to be age-appropriate. All classes address the TEKS Introduction (a)1 and engage students in hands-on activities. Knowledge and skills TEKS addressed may include:
- 1.1A&B, 1.2AC&D, 1.3C, 1.4A, 1.10A (Pre and post-trip activities may also address 1.10D.)
- 2.1A, 2.2AC&D, 2.3C, 2.4A (Pre and post-trip activities may also address 2.10C.)
- 3.1A, 3.2B, 3.4A, 3.9A (Pre and post-trip activities may also address 3.10C.)
- 4.1A, 4.2B, 4.4A (Pre and post-trip activities may also address 4.10C.)
- 5.1A, 5.2B, 5.4A (Pre and post-trip activities may also address 5.10C.)
- 6.1A, 6.2C, 6.4A, 6.12C (Pre and post-trip activities may also address 6.3B&C)
- 7.1A, 7.2C, 7.4A, 7.11A (Pre and post-trip activities may also address 7.3B&C, 7.10B)
- 8.1A, 8.2C, 8.4A (Pre and post-trip activities may also address 8.3B&C, 8.11A)
Pre and Post Trip Materials
Pre and Post Trip Materials (PDF Format)
- Pond Life Checklist
- Pond Life Pre-Trip Activity
- Macroinvertebrate Match-Up Cards
- Pond Life Post-Trip Activity
- Pond Animal Data Sheet
- SBEC for Teachers
- Field Trip Planner
- Outreach Programs
- EcoTots Classes
- EcoKids Classes
- Summer EcoCamp
- Winter EcoCamp
- Scouting Programs
- Hazardous Beasties Safety Training
- Wetland Education Resources