Experience Armand Bayou aboard the "Bayou Ranger" pontoon boat, explore the estuarine habitat of Armand Bayou and discuss factors influencing its health and importance. Through seining and near-shore activities, discover the diverse populations of animals and plants that call the bayou home.
|Grades||7th - College|
|Class Limit||Minimum 8; Maximum 24|
$25.00/participant (children & adults)
Please see the field trip planner for more information about scheduling a field trip. (Call 713-274-2668 for class dates and to enroll.)
The following objectives, vocabulary, and TEKs may be addressed during this field trip.
- Describe the factors that influence the salinity of the bayou.
- Explain why estuarine habitats are important.
- Test the water quality of the bayou using scientific equipment.
- Examine animals found in and along the bayou.
- List human-made stresses that threaten the balance of the bayou ecosystem.
- Practice observation skills.
- Bayou - a channel of water that flows slowly in both directions, depending on the tide and wind
- Brackish water - a mixture of salt and fresh water
- Diversity - variety of species in a given area
- Estuary - regions of interaction between rivers and near-shore ocean waters, were tidal action and river flow create a mixing of fresh and salt water
- Ecosystem - An ecosystem is a complex, dynamic system that functions as a whole. An ecosystem is a natural unit and its size can be as small as a drop of water or as large as the Earth. Ecosystems consist of the interactions between organisms and between organisms and physical components, in which materials are exchanged following closed paths.
- Salinity - salt content of water
- Turbidity - measure of the clarity of water; how much turbulence or activity (tides, wind, etc.)
TEKS (2012-2013 Science)
- 5.1A, 5.2(A,B&C), 5.4A, 5.9C
- 6.1A, 6.2(A,B&C), 6.4A,
- 7.1A, 7.2(A,B&C), 7.4A, 7.10A, 7.11A
- 8.1A, 8.2(A,B&C), 8.4A, 8.11(C&D)
- Biology 1A, 2(A&B), 8A, 12C
- Environmental Systems 1A, 2(A&B), 4(A,B&C), 5B
- Aquatic Science 1A, 2(A&B), 4(A,B&C), 7A
Pre and Post Trip Materials
- SBEC for Teachers
- Field Trip Planner
- Outreach Programs
- EcoTots Classes
- EcoKids Classes
- Summer EcoCamp
- Winter EcoCamp
- Scouting Programs
- Hazardous Beasties Safety Training
- Wetland Education Resources