ABNC Employment Opportunities
The Armand Bayou Nature Center is home to a diverse and talented staff. ABNC hires a combination of permanent, temporary and seasonal staff to fill a variety of administrative, educational, and interpretive programming needs.
The Armand Bayou Nature Center offers a casual working environment, attracts friendly, dedicated professionals, and supports individual career development. Permanent staff turnover is typically low; though our needs continue to evolve as ABNC programming grows. As permanent positions become available, we will announce them here.
All applicants, whether responding to a posted announcement or seeking future employment consideration, must submit a completed and signed application form.
Current Staff Openings
Seasonal Restoration Technician
- Approximately 24 hours per week June to September
- Starts May 2016----Ends September 2016
- Salary $13/hour
This is a seasonal part time position at Armand Bayou Nature Center in southeast Harris County, Texas. ABNC is one of the largest urban nature centers in America. This position will work in the stewardship department helping restore and manage the three ecosystems ABNC encompasses. The focus of this position is ecological restoration as described in the ABNC Natural Resource Management Plan. Technicians will gain experience in plant identification, plant propagation, and wetland restoration. Technicians will also assist with supervision of volunteer work crews. Please visit our website at www.abnc.org for more information about the preserve and Management Plan. Applications are being accepted until May 31, 2016.
- Habitat restoration including exotic vegetation control through herbicide application, prescribed fire, tractor mowing, native plant propagation, and planting
- Maintenance of equipment
- Wetland restoration including tidal marsh planting and management of native plant nursery
- Assist volunteer work groups in support of the above activities: Prairie Friday and Stewardship Saturday
- One year of college is preferred in the field of natural resource science and management, botany, wildlife ecology, or related field
- Have the ability to maintain a positive attitude in the presence of extreme heat, humidity, and mosquitoes. Have a love for the outdoors and the environment
- Proven ability to work safely
- Flexible, able to work in pairs or in a team setting, with a wide variety of people
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Valid Texas driver’s license
- U.S. Citizen or valid work document
- Employment subject to acceptable criminal background check
- Driving and operating tractors and attachments
- Operating chainsaws
- Driving ATV/4wheel drive vehicles
- Spraying herbicide
Please send resume to .
No phone calls please.